many influenza WU

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Jonazz

Re: many influenza WU

Post by Jonazz »

Since I installed V7 and started SMP folding, I haven't had one WU related to influenza. Lots of new projects (some related to cancer!) are now running on the SMP client as well. So now you can be 100 % sure that using SMP instead of unicore clients will advance science in every way, not just influenza research.
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

All the active bigadv projects seem to be working on influenza (6901, 6903, 6904, 8101). I haven't had one WU related to influenza myself though.
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

I'd take JonazzDJ's post further - I am pretty confident that lessons learned folding influenza can improve our knowledge in folding non-influenza diseases.

Also, one of the biggest myths about the Flu is that it's pretty benign... Influenza kills many people each and every regular flu season and strains such as 'Swine Flu' (basically just a variant of 'seasonal flu') disproportionately effect the young and healthy - perhaps because older people have already been exposed to an older, similar strain. So folding Flu WUs is still very valuable to FAH and man kind!
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

k1wi wrote:Also, one of the biggest myths about the Flu is that it's pretty benign... Influenza kills many people each and every regular flu season and strains such as 'Swine Flu' (basically just a variant of 'seasonal flu') disproportionately effect the young and healthy - perhaps because older people have already been exposed to an older, similar strain. So folding Flu WUs is still very valuable to FAH and man kind!
Indeed! As much as I'd like to see a focus on cancer, we can't just ignore the 1918 flu pandemic which may have killed up to 100 million people worldwide. And why are some viral strains more infectious than others, and why are some recent and notable viruses not easily transmittable between different species? Relevant topics to the answer: hemagglutinin, glycan, and protein folding/binding.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Magic Michael
Hardware configuration: 1. 2x E5520 @2.27 GHz with 6x 4GB Reg ECC RAM and 1x Geforce GTX 660ti. Windoze -smp 12 and -gpu
2. 2x E5620 @2.53 GHz 16GB Reg ECC RAM. Debian Linux with -smp 16
3. the occasional borg

Post by Magic Michael »

Jesse_V wrote:[...] we can't just ignore the 1918 flu pandemic which may have killed up to 100 million people worldwide. [...]
"Yes we can" ! For me and my family cancer is the biggest threat, so I am here to fight that, not something that affected our ancestors. So more cancer projects for my folding machines !
Stonecold

Post by Stonecold »

Remember, folding one protein can help even with unrelated ones as new things are learned about protein folding. So folding hemagglutinin (an influenza membrane protein) may actually assist in the study of the folding of p53 (a protein involved in cancer). So it's not like folding mostly virus-related proteins causes cancer research to slow down.

The good thing about science (and especially molecular biology and biochemistry) is that everything is related, so finding a "cure" or treatment for one thing may actually end up improving many other areas of medical technology (such as penicillin helping us understand irreversible covalent modification).

Personally, I agree that more effort should be put into cancer research, but I'm sure there's a good reason the current focus is influenza. Plus, the only thing that makes influenza so successful as a virus is that it is able to mutate extremely rapidly, like cancer. So if a lot of progress is made studying a fast-mutating virus, it might give some insight into fast-mutating cancers.

Also, cancer is a a very broad spectrum of diseases. So it's not that easy to focus on studying cancer when something like influenza (and Alzheimer's, etc.) is much more likely to yield helpful results fairly quickly.
Last edited by Stonecold on Tue May 29, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

Remember, most focus isn't going to influenza, but Alzheimers. It's the only disease the pande group has a possible drug (not a cure!) for. I even think Huntington's disease is the second most studies by f@h, but I'm not sure about that.

Anyway, one of folding@home's strong points for me is the variety in diseases they are studying. To you, cancer might be the biggest threat. People with Huntington's and Alzeheimer's know they will die (I don't want to sound cruel here). More and more people get diabetes and are forced to drastically change their lifestyle. I don't have to say anything about HIV.
Last edited by Jonazz on Wed May 30, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

"Doesn't matter I'll probably get hit by a bus anyway" - Institutionalized by Suicidal Tendencies ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
jimerickson
Hardware configuration: Parts:
Asus H370 Mining Master motherboard (X2)
Patriot Viper DDR4 memory 16gb stick (X4)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 gpu (X16)
Intel Core i7 8700 cpu (X2)
Silverstone 1000 watt psu (X4)
Veddha 8 gpu miner case (X2)
Thermaltake hsf (X2)
Ubit riser card (X16)

Post by jimerickson »

@7im: +1 :)
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

Those who are interested in this thread should also check out this recent post: http://folding.typepad.com/news/2012/05 ... asson.html
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

Why do we study influenza? First, influenza kills about 40,000 people each year in the US alone and many more worldwide. These are mostly children under 2 and adults over 60, but all of us who hope to live past 60 and have children we care about find this a matter of some concern. Second, influenza has a proven track record of causing global mass-mortality events, such as 1918. A similar virus today might easily kill in the range of 60 million people, and we’d like to be prepared. Third, influenza is an important model system for understanding other viruses such as HIV and cancer-causing viruses such as HPV, Heptatitis C virus, and Epstein-Barr virus. It may come as a surprise, but many cancers are virus-associated, and these form an important area for prevention.
Add this to the project description of every flu project, and no one will complain anymore :)
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

JonazzDJ wrote:
Why do we study influenza? First, influenza kills about 40,000 people each year in the US alone and many more worldwide. These are mostly children under 2 and adults over 60, but all of us who hope to live past 60 and have children we care about find this a matter of some concern. Second, influenza has a proven track record of causing global mass-mortality events, such as 1918. A similar virus today might easily kill in the range of 60 million people, and we’d like to be prepared. Third, influenza is an important model system for understanding other viruses such as HIV and cancer-causing viruses such as HPV, Heptatitis C virus, and Epstein-Barr virus. It may come as a surprise, but many cancers are virus-associated, and these form an important area for prevention.
Add this to the project description of every flu project, and no one will complain anymore :)
+1
DoctorsSon

Post by DoctorsSon »

Heck, I fold for the fame and the glory of it, but mostly for the women. :lol:
rbpeake
Hardware configuration: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor E8500, dual 3.16GHz cores, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB (45nm); 4096MB Corsair™ XMS2 DDR2-800 RAM; 256MB eVGA™ NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GT Video Card

Post by rbpeake »

Interestingly, the new FAH client V7.2.9 permits a choice of diseases under Configuration-Advanced preferences, and Influenza is not even listed!

Imho, this seems a bit bass-ackward because if everyone did that, the researchers lose control over their own scientific priorities in terms of what gets processed first! But presumably the majority have no preference and are OK with the researchers doing the prioritizing!
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

rbpeake wrote:Interestingly, the new FAH client V7.2.9 permits a choice of diseases under Configuration-Advanced preferences, and Influenza is not even listed!

Imho, this seems a bit bass-ackward because if everyone did that, the researchers lose control over their own scientific priorities in terms of what gets processed first! But presumably the majority have no preference and are OK with the researchers doing the prioritizing!
That doesn't work server-side. When it gets implemented, I suppose the client will "politely ask" the server for WUs for that disease, but I think the PG will have the final word on assignments. All things being equal, the request will likely be granted. Interesting that influenza isn't listed, since it's important area of research and has implication for other viruses like HIV, etc. Personally, I want cancer-related WUs. :)