-bigadv is influenza only, right ?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Magic Michael
Hardware configuration: 1. 2x E5520 @2.27 GHz with 6x 4GB Reg ECC RAM and 1x Geforce GTX 660ti. Windoze -smp 12 and -gpu
2. 2x E5620 @2.53 GHz 16GB Reg ECC RAM. Debian Linux with -smp 16
3. the occasional borg

-bigadv is influenza only, right ?

Post by Magic Michael »

Hi guys,
parsing through my logs and comparing them with the project descrition I saw that all of my -bigadv WUs (and -smp WUs I got during the "bigadv drought") were influenza projects.
Not being interested in fighting the flu but cancer, what can I do ? I searched all project descriptions and found some cancer projects for smp and for gpu clients, so right now I think changing my -bigadv to -smp folders is the way to go (if I want to stay at F@H for cancer related research). Right ?

Thanks for any insights
Michael
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: -bigadv is influenza only, right ?

Post by Jesse_V »

We have almost no control over what project we work on, and I don't think they intend to change that. Please don't downgrade to smp though. Many of my smp projects are for influenza as well, and I'm in the same boat you are there (my sister lost a battle with cancer several years ago). It is quite likely that the approaches used for influenza will help develop methods for cancer. Perhaps when we're doing influenza calculations someone else won't have to and they can work on cancer or some other disease. I'm not positive. Folding@home studies a wide variety of diseases, and you'll probably get one that is related to diseases other than influenza. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@ho ... gnificance It seems to me that sometimes F@h seems to just focus area of research before moving on to something else. Perhaps there is some time-critical calculations that have to be done for influenza. Please don't downgrade just because you want to change the disease. It probably won't change a thing anyway, other than making you less productive.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Jonazz

Re: -bigadv is influenza only, right ?

Post by Jonazz »

Well, honestly, F@H doesn't do a lot of work concerning cancer at this moment. Their main focus is Alzheimers, Huntington, appearantly the flu (even though it's not listed on the diseases page) and improving their methods.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't run bigadv. The work you do know will

- Improve their methods so work (like cancer) can be done even better/faster
- cause the current flu projects to be finished faster so they can realease new (cancer?) projects sooner

So run those bigadv work units! And make sure to check if you can use your GPU as well!