Frustration, GPU related

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Re: Frustration, GPU related

Post by PantherX »

I went through the FAHlog that you have posted and found:
FAHLog 1 -> Launch directory: C:\Users\Bonnie\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu
FAHLog 2 -> Launch directory: C:\work
FAHLog 3 -> Launch directory: C:\Folding@home-gpu
FAHLog 4 -> Launch directory: C:\Windows
FAHLog 5 -> Launch directory: C:\Windows
FAHLog 6 -> Launch directory: C:\Folding@home-gpu

As you can see, there are 4 different "Launch directories" and that isn't a good sign at all :( (I am not sure why you did that). I suggest that you uninstall the Client and delete any manual folders that you have created, etc. Let's have a fresh start:

Your GPU is GeForce 310 so you can use either one of these GPU Clients:
GPU2 Client v6.23; Systray or Console; Download
GPU3 Beta Client v6.3X; Systray v6.32 or Console v6.31; Download

Now you just need to install the GPU Driver provided by Nvidia and it will work. No need to get CUDA SDK or anything else. If you have messed up your Driver installation, make sure that you use Driver Sweeper to get rid of any any problematic files.

IMO, the simplest option for you is to run the GPU2 Client Console Version as you have to simply unzip the file, configure it and it runs. The same can also apply for GPU3 Beta Client Console version but since it is Beta, you can expect certain about of instabilities (Haven't encountered any once I had configured everything properly). If your GPU isn't being recognized by the GPU2 Client, you may need to use the -forcegpu nvidia_g80 flag by using once of these methods.

I did encounter a message of missing cudart.dll when using the Systray and that is when I decided to use the Console version which I find easy to manage (Details). YMMV.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
PrinceValorum

Re: Frustration, GPU related

Post by PrinceValorum »

The different launch directories were created as I tried the different suggestions offered here, but each time I cleaned up after the last one. The C:\Windows was the weridest one, but that was when I entered the -forcegpu in the Start In line, so that was my fault.

I'd run the console version too, if it was my own computer, but both computers are used by 50 year old women that actually have work to do and are volunteering their computers. Having a "window of gibberish" open isn't an option for them.

I uninstalled the 6.32 version and installed the 6.23 with the nVidia viewer along with the 260.99 driver. It's as fresh a start as I know how to do without formatting the computers (also not an option). I decided to forego the advancements of the GPU3 client in hopes that the older one was less error-prone, at least for me. I added the -forcegpu tag and started it up. After adding the cudart.dll file from the %APPDATA%, it proceeded, and then sits there showing "Working 0/0."

Hopes dashed, I waited a few more minutes and then it changed to "Working 150/15000." So, thank you very much for enduring my learning process. I'm glad to help the project, even when it takes days to get everything set up..

Something I thought was interesting, on my stats, it shows 6 cores active in the last 50 days, and 5 active in the last 7, which means that one of the GPUs in fact did process work on the GPU3 client, even with the IO error. I don't know how, but there's no other explination.