Antidepressant@Home...

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

folding4u

Antidepressant@Home...

Post by folding4u »

When will there be opportunities to donate one's time to develop better antidepressants? The current range of medications isn't that good and surely this kind of open development would appeal to at least smaller companies. I'm sure the data privacy could be made good enough or not?

I know that Rosetta@Home and maybe even FAH contributes to science in ways that the drug manufacturers may be able to use but all the molecules being tested, for some reason, are for non-mental diseases for lack of a better word.
sneakers55

Re: Antidepressant@Home...

Post by sneakers55 »

folding4u wrote:When will there be opportunities to donate one's time to develop better antidepressants?

I know that Rosetta@Home and maybe even FAH contributes to science in ways that the drug manufacturers may be able to use but all the molecules being tested, for some reason, are for non-mental diseases for lack of a better word.
They probably haven't found a tie yet between misfolding and the functional brain disorders, not that there will be one. Parkinson's and Huntington's are neurological diseases that F@H studie.

What we really need is a magic bullet for epilepsy and bipolar disorder. The current anticonvulsants are "pick which organ you want to have long term damage." Lithium is probably even worse as it is a narrow therapeutic index drug.
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4200+ (2.2 GHz)
Intel C2D 6400 (2.13 GHz)
Intel C2D T7800 (2.6 GHz)
PS3
alancabler

Post by alancabler »

We've heard the saying; "A rising tide lifts all boats".
There is a huge amount of research on many fronts which is building on the discoveries of Folding@home. A quick tour through any number of scientific journals will give one an idea of the accelerating pace of our understanding of life processes.
F@h is providing keys which unlock many doors.
Facts are not truth. Facts are merely facets of the shining diamond of truth.
wswillsmithe

Re: Antidepressants

Post by wswillsmithe »

Atypical antidepressants on other hand, particularly the newer varieties, work on other neurotransmitters.They also work on some other chemicals like norepinephrine and dopamine that actually both play significant roles in the development of depression.
http://www.mydepressionmedication.com/a ... epressants
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

F@H studies protein folding, and misfolding. Is depression linked to misfolded proteins?
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Josiah

Post by Josiah »

Depression has a range of causes. It could be genetic or it could be situational. I would not rule out that mis folded proteins might give a clue in to depression.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Okay.

I would guess that until a direct link is established between depression and proteins, as in the current diseases listed on the FAH project page, that depression is not something FAH would study. Then again, new info is discovered every day.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.