Autism & F@H

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

theteofscuba
Hardware configuration: PS3, Phenom II X4, QX9775, HD 8570

Autism & F@H

Post by theteofscuba »

You all may be familiar with this announcement?

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2010/09 ... lding.html

There are quite a lot of motivated people to fight autism and with a lot of money. Like actor Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy.
MtM
Hardware configuration: Q6600 - 8gb - p5q deluxe - gtx275 - hd4350 ( not folding ) win7 x64 - smp:4 - gpu slot
E6600 - 4gb - p5wdh deluxe - 9600gt - 9600gso - win7 x64 - smp:2 - 2 gpu slots
E2160 - 2gb - ?? - onboard gpu - win7 x32 - 2 uniprocessor slots
T5450 - 4gb - ?? - 8600M GT 512 ( DDR2 ) - win7 x64 - smp:2 - gpu slot

Re: Autism & F@H

Post by MtM »

Old thread I know but I missed it then.

This is of particular interest to me. I'm convinced I am Asperger. I'm also diagnosed with adhd, have been diagnosed with bpd and chronic depressions.

I am wondering if this can/will lead to a better method of classification. My brother is now diagnosed with schizophrenia, an diagnosis which was made after his psychosis did not go away.

Afaik, all the above are caused by a form of communication between brain cells which is not as it should. But classification is based on external diagnosis, based on reported/observed behaviour.

For me this would be important as I also have an ptsd, and that so far has led every psychiatrist to put my external behaviour as a result of that disorder. But I am convinced this is not true, my symptoms existed before my ptsd developed ( and added to them/created new one's ). But they have no record of observed behaviour at an earlier age so they will not change my diagnosis.

Dewey test indicates Asperger, I even as a kid once walked behind an attractive girl in the supermarket who wasn't wearing shoes and I didn't want her to get send out :S I have a report from a Prof. who has a very high standing in my country which indicates I have all the symptoms of Asperger except that I didn't think in stereotype's, but I do think in stereotypes. I'm just also capable, atleast partially, to see a difference between a bad cop and a good cop so I might have said I don't think in fixed stereotypes but that's not the same. I been told by other people who do have the diagnosis Asperger that stereotyping isn't such a fixed field, it's more having stereo type behaviour, fixed intrests, no social engagement for the most part ect. And that, well those who know me say I fit the bill perfectly there :(

It would mean allot to me personally if there would be a method of classifying these based on real medical evidence instead of opinionated reviews of external symptoms. I know it is caused by a malfunction in the brain, and I always knew it is genetic because how else can you explain my brother, me and my sister all having similar problems ( but a different diagnosis ). And each one diagnosis has a sub field that you're not not in the field if you're in another. So if your problems are noted at an earlier stage you're more likely to have an AS disorder, if you're older you'll get a schizophrenia classification ect.