How do you fold?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

tmillic
Hardware configuration: AMD3200+ w/ NVIDIA GT220.
Tyan S2912 with 1 Opteron 2347HE.
Via C3.

Re: How do you fold?

Post by tmillic »

It runs here on everything that isn't a laptop. I sometimes boot my primary PC into Windows when I'm leaving for the day or going to sleep and fold on the GPU (GT220 or something like that). It draws about 100 watts, so I don't mind. I have a headless dual CPU machine for ray-tracing and programming that I've started using. It's a slow CPU, but I needed something that could hold a lot more RAM. It draws 115 watts folding on all four cores at 100%, so I don't mind letting it run the folding client all the time. We'll see how much power it draws when the other four-core CPU for it comes in. We fold as much as we can afford to do in terms of electricity. A lot of folks here will continue pointing out that the more powerful hardware will produce higher ppd per watt, which is often true. I see it the same way as mobility though. A tractor-trailer, freight train or cargo ship can accomplish more tonnage-miles per unit of fuel than our little Saturn. That doesn't make it appropriate or feasible for us though to give up the Saturn (which gets used far less than our bicycles).
Do what you can.
George144
Hardware configuration: AMD Phenom ll 965/BE- Asus crosshair ll mobo- 8gb ocz 2chnl platinum memory- Corsair H50 htsnk 2/120mm fans p/p in exhaust- 2 Asus 24xDRW- WD 640gb HD bk ed. tri/sli gpu 285 gtx running ovclk @3749.49Mhz Shader clk1498 fan 100%-temps 60/64/72 C in lian li PC/P50 4/140mm fans 2top-2side 2/120mm fans intake 2/120mm fans exhaust Corsair psu HX 1000. Running 24/7

Re: How do you fold?

Post by George144 »

I run folding 24/7 because I am able to do so. I am helping those in need and that makes me happy. I am a lucky survivor helping the less fortunate, that's my ego speaking.
George144