Noob hardware advice, please

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Slowride

Re: Noob hardware advice, please

Post by Slowride »

uncle fuzzy wrote:Are we still dealing with #7 on your list? The SMP client, whether in Windows or a VM, wants/needs/will take the full resources of a dual core cpu, leaving nothing for any other cpu client.
Yes, we are, and now I know not to try that.

The PPD has risen to ~1800

Completion of a percentage is now at ~15min

It is a 2.53 MHz cpu, CPU-Z shows it running at 2.526.x

Task Manager shows Vmware-vmx at ~98%

I will double check my power settings, but I'm pretty sure they are similar to yours.

Thanks!
Slowride

Post by Slowride »

However, I'm confused about the sequence of events. If you're getting this error saying that it only support 64 bit clients, how are you getting past that to start folding,,, or , is it just an informational message? Or do you only get this when you killall fah6 and restart it?
You are correct, it was informational and would ask if I would like to continue anyways and of course I said yes! I would only get that message at startup but once I entered tear's fix, it didn't appear again.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

I really hope this is a typo.
:P
It is a 2.53 MHz cpu
1800 isn't too bad. My 2.0GHz does about 800 PPD in Windows SMP (can't do VM). Running VMs on my desktops gives my about 125% the output of just the Windows SMP, so I'd say you're doing quite well.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

Slowride

Post by Slowride »

uncle fuzzy wrote:I really hope this is a typo.
It is a 2.53 MHz cpu
1800 isn't too bad. My 2.0GHz does about 800 PPD in Windows SMP (can't do VM). Running VMs on my desktops gives my about 125% the output of just the Windows SMP, so I'd say you're doing quite well.
Lol, Yeah, it is a typo. That would be quite impressive, wouldn't it?
weedacres
Hardware configuration: UserNames: weedacres_gpu ...

Post by weedacres »

uncle fuzzy wrote:I really hope this is a typo.
It is a 2.53 MHz cpu
Yeah,, you're probably right. My T9300 gets right at 2000-2100 and it's running XP. Vista will be a bit slower so that may be the difference.
Anyway it looks like we won this one :?:
Slowride

Post by Slowride »

so I'd say you're doing quite well.
Considering when we started it was running under 500PPD, I'm thrilled to be getting 1800PPD!

Oh, does it matter what priority is set to if there is only one client running? Right now it is at low.

Thanks to both of you for all your help! I really appreciate it guys!
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

Low is good. With only one client, the prioirty setting is to prevent the client from fighting with anything else you're trying to do on the computer. I've played games with one of the desktops running 2 GPUs and an SMP and had only slight lags in the game. Of course, the PPD dropped like a rock, but the clients backed off on the resources just like they should.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

weedacres
Hardware configuration: UserNames: weedacres_gpu ...

Post by weedacres »

Slowride wrote:
so I'd say you're doing quite well.
Considering when we started it was running under 500PPD, I'm thrilled to be getting 1800PPD!

Oh, does it matter what priority is set to if there is only one client running? Right now it is at low.

Thanks to both of you for all your help! I really appreciate it guys!
You are welcome!
Low works fine as fuzzy says. The only time I change it is when I'm running gpu clients on the same machine, then I run smp at idle.

Now the downside of this on the laptop is that they don't cool near as well as desktops and your cpu temps will be running in the 70'sC. Make sure your vents are clear and vacuum the dust out once in awhile. Laying it on a bed or carpet or loose cloth will block the vents. I read a story some time back about someone leaving a laptop running on a hotel bet. It overheated and started a fire. bad bad bad. :eo

You can download coretemp here http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Slowride

Post by Slowride »

weedacres wrote:Now the downside of this on the laptop is that they don't cool near as well as desktops and your cpu temps will be running in the 70'sC. Make sure your vents are clear and vacuum the dust out once in awhile. Laying it on a bed or carpet or loose cloth will block the vents. I read a story some time back about someone leaving a laptop running on a hotel bet. It overheated and started a fire. bad bad bad.

You can download coretemp here http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Thanks for the warning and the link, I certainly wouldn't want that to happen. Most of the time it sits on the kitchen counter but it will be nice to hace coretemp running to remind me. Currently they are at 65C & 67C. You are the best!

Ok one machine down, six to go......lol, j/k
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

Now that you have #7 maxed out my suggestion would be to get that phenom (#6) up to full speed. Now that you have installed notfred on your laptop i would get that installed on the phenom, with the latest vmware player you can use all 4 cores on that cpu and get about 4000ppd.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding

Post by Nathan_P »

Slowride wrote:I was sucessful in geting VMWare to run on #7. #6 doesn't support vitrtualization so I think I'll add 2 9800GTs to that box with that being about as much as it will handle. Then find more ram for #2 before I try VMWare on it.

Another question, if after I am done with all of this and still want more PPD, is it more cost effective to build a diskless farm or to upgrade one of my existing boxes with all new hardware?

Thanks!
Just checked on AMD's web site and your phenom should support virtualization - i recommend checking your Bios settings to make sure its enabled, even my 3 year old FX62 has it.

Each of those 9800gt's should give 4-5000ppd depending on the project and are relatively cheap to get hold of. Or for roughly the same money you may be able to put a pair of GTS 250's in there - it would depend on the M/board that this machine (#6) has.
As for the other boxes its going to depend a lot on what m/boards they have, if they have PCI-ex16 slots for graphcs cards then you may be OK, other wise given the power requirements that these machines have and their PPD it may be better to sell them off and put the money into a "new" machine. I say new but but second hand parts are a possibility.
Slowride

Post by Slowride »

Hey Nathan,

Thanks for the input. The Phenom is actually my Son-in Law's computer. I haven't been successful in convincing him of the worthiness of this Project. I have enough trouble persuading him not to turn of the GPU Client I put on there as well as convincing him that a OCd 9800GT was better than a 9400GT. :roll: So it is highly unlikely I would be able to get him to keep VMware running.

I have a another 9800 I am going to install in #4 once the new P/S comes in.

I don't see any hope for #1 and #2 so I will probably let them help heat the house this winter then shut them down in the spring.

Still thinking of building a folding rig, I would like to build a dual quad core to help with -bigadv, but I think cost would prevent it at the moment. So I'm looking at a motherboard that supports a quad core and 3 or 4 PCIe slots with a target of ~20k PPD.
FlipBack

Post by FlipBack »

Slowride wrote:Still thinking of building a folding rig, I would like to build a dual quad core to help with -bigadv, but I think cost would prevent it at the moment. So I'm looking at a motherboard that supports a quad core and 3 or 4 PCIe slots with a target of ~20k PPD.
Look at the MSI 790FX-GD70. 4 PCIe x16/x8 slots. Throw a Athlon II x4 620 in there along with 4 GTX 260's or GTS 250's and you've got ~36,000PPD(260's) or ~26,000PPD(250's). A Corsair TX950 can power all of this for $170.
Nathan_P

Not currently folding

Post by Nathan_P »

Slowride wrote:Hey Nathan,

Thanks for the input. The Phenom is actually my Son-in Law's computer. I haven't been successful in convincing him of the worthiness of this Project. I have enough trouble persuading him not to turn of the GPU Client I put on there as well as convincing him that a OCd 9800GT was better than a 9400GT. :roll: So it is highly unlikely I would be able to get him to keep VMware running.

I have a another 9800 I am going to install in #4 once the new P/S comes in.

I don't see any hope for #1 and #2 so I will probably let them help heat the house this winter then shut them down in the spring.

Still thinking of building a folding rig, I would like to build a dual quad core to help with -bigadv, but I think cost would prevent it at the moment. So I'm looking at a motherboard that supports a quad core and 3 or 4 PCIe slots with a target of ~20k PPD.

No worries we are here to help, and i fully understand not being able to convince anyone - everyone i speak to about it thinks i'm a little mad :wink:

with #4 are you keeping the 8600 in the same case or moving it to another machine?? If you have to move i would suggest it goes into machine 5 if it can and may then looking at shutting down #3 as PPD/watt won't be that good.

A dedicated rig is the way to go when funds permit - its what i have done although i would recommend using new parts for the M/Board and possibly new video cards. i have been caught out on my build by going second hand and have just had to replace my m/Board, but it did allow me to sneak an athlon x4 past the wife :lol: Looking at a -bigadv machine myself but cost as always is a factor.
Slowride

Post by Slowride »

FlipBack wrote:Look at the MSI 790FX-GD70. 4 PCIe x16/x8 slots. Throw a Athlon II x4 620 in there along with 4 GTX 260's or GTS 250's and you've got ~36,000PPD(260's) or ~26,000PPD(250's). A Corsair TX950 can power all of this for $170.
That is pretty much what I have decided on as far as motherboard and GPUs. Hadn't settled on CPU or P/S yet, I'll check them out.

Found Zotac GTX 260s for $135.00 each. Am I entering the realm of additional cooling hardware with this setup or can a bunch of fans keep it cool enough?
Nathan_P wrote:with #4 are you keeping the 8600 in the same case or moving it to another machine?? If you have to move i would suggest it goes into machine 5 if it can and may then looking at shutting down #3 as PPD/watt won't be that good.
At this point I have a OC'd 9800GT in #5 averaging 5000 PPD, I have another 9800GT to put in #4 once the new P/S comes in (300w can't run it) and in #3 I added a 9400 GT putting it around 1500 PPD.
Nathan_P wrote:i would recommend using new parts for the M/Board and possibly new video cards.
The first computer I ever bought was an open box item. Never was able to get it working quite right so I tend to shy away from used unless I personally know the original owner. Even then....
Nathan_P wrote:everyone i speak to about it thinks i'm a little mad
Yeah, I'm getting used to the blank stares :lol: