Folding needs the Colbert Bump

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

whynot

Re: Folding needs the Colbert Bump

Post by whynot »

spazzychalk wrote:I DECLARE MY THREAD HIJACKED
I wouldn't call that tread to be hijacked. It's vandalized. So -- get life, start another.
--
I'm counting for science.
Points just make me sick.
spazzychalk

Post by spazzychalk »

still think it doesnt work? listen to this crappy band - swedish swing hip-hop jazz http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... -av-garden

that aired at 1130pm. after 1 whole day, by the 2nd morning it rose in sales rank on amazon from 93,400 to 75th http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... ---movits-

imagine what you could do with something like this people care about
kzaske
Hardware configuration: System Specs: GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3; AMD Phenom II x6 1090T; 8GB Corsair Dominator CMD8GX3M4A1333C7; XFX HD-6950-CNFC 2G

Post by kzaske »

Brude;
I think the main point of the post was that there is no reason to have to install several clients. It will not let me quote you for some reason. I should be able to download then install the latest client for my OS and have it take full advantage of everything it can on my system. Other projects do exactly that, they used both cores and my GPU without having to install three clients. As I am learning it's time to feel sorry for this project as user friendlyness is outside of the scope of understanding for this project's leadership.

My point is that a "Colbert Bump" (btw, I had never heard of it until this thread) should not be attempted right now. Folding@home is simply not ready for prime time. We need a simple installer that installs a single, lets call it a "Wrapper" interface controlling all of the inner workings. The user should not have to install multiple clients. Take for example this; "You must have a 32 bit OS for DEINO to work. If you have a 64 bit OS, you must pick the MPICH version since DEINO doesn't work at all. The MPICH guide can be found here." WTF? Why not have the installer check the OS and install the correct client set?
SMP support in windws works, if you have a programer that actually knows how to use it, several other projects got it working years ago. I used an SMP (multi-core) BOINC client for years without a single issue. Here is a shocker for you, it identified my new video card and installed the correct client to use it WITHOUT any input from me.
System Specs: GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3; AMD Phenom II x6 1090T; 8GB Corsair Dominator CMD8GX3M4A1333C7; XFX HD-6950-CNFC 2G
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

Just a thought on the positive buzz of a Colbert Bump.
The opposite could be just as effective. With the Swine Flu season quickly approaching, some press about the work being done on Virus transmissions could jolt people into joining. Nothing like the scare of a pandemic to get people involved :!:
I don't know the details of the work being done, but as they touch on Flu transmission, Panda Group really needs to get the press out. :mrgreen:
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
spazzychalk

Post by spazzychalk »

works for the govt
susato
Site Moderator

Post by susato »

Another "Colbert bump" from the media - Not sure if it's a :eo or a :lol: .
To: NASA News <hqnews (at) mediaservices.nasa.gov>
Subject: NASA's Shuttle Discovery Launches to Enhance Space Station Science

August 29, 2009
RELEASE: 09-196

NASA'S SHUTTLE DISCOVERY LAUNCHES TO ENHANCE SPACE STATION SCIENCE

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Space shuttle Discovery, with its seven-member
crew, launched at 11:59 p.m. EDT Friday from NASA's Kennedy Space
Center in Florida. The shuttle will deliver supplies, equipment and a
new crew member to the International Space Station.

Inside the shuttle's cargo bay is the Leonardo Multi-Purpose Logistics
Module, a pressurized "moving van" that will be temporarily installed
to the station. The module will deliver storage racks; materials and
fluids science racks; a freezer to store research samples; a new
sleeping compartment; an air purification system; and a treadmill
named after comedian Stephen Colbert. The name "Colbert" received the
most entries in NASA's online poll to name the station's Node 3. NASA
named the node Tranquility.
More on naming of the treadmill and the Node 3 module, at wikipedia

I agree with the earlier poster who said F@H isn't ready for the Colbert Bump yet.
spazzychalk

Post by spazzychalk »

nova science now did i segment on seti @ home. maybe thats our next step
chumbucket843

Post by chumbucket843 »

VijayPande wrote:This is a very interesting idea. I don't have any connections with the show, but I'll look and see what I can do. If anyone does have connections, please let me know.
he grew up in my home town, charleston, south carolina. my barber knows his family pretty well and we talk about him some. i will see what i can do.
spazzychalk

Post by spazzychalk »

now thats what im talkin about
spazzychalk

Post by spazzychalk »

Watch this interview http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... iley-crane there's so many things to take away from this. how they did it using social networking, then the guy says it can't be applied to medical research because its too hard to get the system started - he doesnt even know we exist. you want to jump in and say yes it can (minus the money factor). more importantly, colbert is the one who brought it up, so he's interested in this.